Wake up, America, and demand, your public officials, and leaders, look forward, instead of backward, and pay keen attention, beyond merely, populist rhetoric, promises, and obstacles, and, fully consider, the best ways to address, in a responsible manner, the true, sustainable necessities, of, both, the nation, as well as the rest of this planet! For the past 3 years, the present occupant of our White House, has, denied the dangers of Climate Change, sought to minimize environmental protections/ measures, had a haphazard, unpredictable foreign policy, changed the focus on the educations, and employment needs, and, changed our focus, about our citizens, health care requirements, etc. With that in mind, this article will attempt to, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 6 key, sustainable necessities, and, why they are important.
1. Climate Change: Well over 90% of the climate scientists, throughout the world, have expressed, not only their belief, but their concerns about the ramifications, of Climate Change, especially, if we fail, to take some precautionary, preventive measures, sooner, rather than later! However, President Trump, has seemingly, gone the other way, eliminating many scientific panels, and departments, and denying the impact of human action, on this danger! He withdrew us, from the Paris Accords, making us the only nation, to do so! Since, our nation is a major contributor to the overall planet’s conditions, we need to take responsibility, for being a responsible nation – member of the world!
2. Environmental protections: For years, our Presidents have attempted, to steadily, address environmental issues, especially, in regard to clean air, and energy. They have banned illegal dumping in rivers, streams, and waterways, encouraged less polluting vehicles, and introduced measures, which would, hopefully, incrementally, make a difference, for the better! By Executive Orders, President Trump, has abandoned many of these, referring to these, as hoaxes, as he has, about climate issues!
3. Safer world; human rights: Trump has parted from his predecessors in many ways, but, one of the most concerning ones, should be, in our demands, for protecting human rights, throughout the world! In addition, most have sought to use diplomatic measures, as well as all other applicable ways, to bring about a safer, more secure world. While Trump proclaims, he has made the world safer, by his actions and behaviors, a significant number of experts, believe, he has risked the safety, and security of all, in a somewhat, reckless, ill – conceived manner!
4. Education: Wouldn’t the future, be better served, if all those, who wanted additional education, and were qualified, could attain it, regardless of their personal finances? An educated population, is, generally, healthier, happier, more effective, and successful!
5. Employment/ jobs: While, our unemployment rate, is at, or near, historic lows, the disparity, between, the lower 50%, and, the upper few percent, is, greater, than ever! The Federal minimum wage is still, $7.25, the same, as a decade ago! There is no place in this nation, where one can afford to live, at that wage. We need training, to ensure, our workers, are qualified, for the types of jobs, needed, for the future!
6. Health care: Should access to, and the ability to afford, quality health care, be a right, or a privilege, for the privileged?
These 6 areas, and many others, are crucial, to address now, before they become, threats to the sustainability of our planet, and planet, into the future! Wake up, America, and demand responsible leadership!